Monday, March 7, 2011

Make it Monday - Ribbon Bookmark Tutorial


Today, I would like to show you how to make your own beautiful ribbon bookmark. I have been making these for at least six years now. I really like how these bookmarks look in any book! For this bookmark you will use 2 ribbons. You can make it super easy and only use one wide ribbon.

STEP 1 - Materials needed:


  • 1 Needle
  • 1 Button or charm that looks good with your choice of ribbon
  • Ribbon that is the length of the book you want to make it for
  • Thin ribbon same length as the ribbon above
  • Fray Check (you can find this at JoAnns)
  • Crosstitch thread; same color as the thinner ribbon
  • Scissors (for children, this must be done with an adult)

STEP 2 - Cut ribbon:

Measure the book, and then add at least 2-4 inches extra to it. Then, cut the two ribbons the same length. 


STEP 3 - Assembling the bookmark:

Once you have cut both your ribbons fold them in half and leave at least 1/2 inch extra on top, then place your adornment where you want it stitched at.

Your adornment for the ribbon bookmark needs to have a hole at the top to sew it on, or use a decorative button to make it super easy for stitching! I have used both. I like to purchase buttons that don't look like buttons! After you choose your adornment, then get your needle and thread ready to stitch it on.

Once it is threaded thru the needle, as shown in the photo above, tie a knot in the bottom of the thread. To hide the knot from the outward appearance, fold the ribbons in half, then start to stitch the adornment on from the inside out. The adornment that I picked out for the bookmark was an old earring that I lost its mate to. I love keeping little odd and end pieces just in case I might need it for an art project like this.

STEP 4 - Finishing touches:

Once you sewed your adornment on, you are almost done. Get your Fray Check and put it on the ends of each ribbon. This will do exactly what it says, it will help the ribbon not to fray! Let it dry for a few minutes, and make sure it does not dry to anything it is next to. I just used a napkin placed underneath the ribbon, so the Fray Check would not get on the table, and then after a minute I removed the napkin and let it air dry for another 3 minutes.

STEP 5 - Be Proud!!
I hope you have fun making one for yourself! These also make great gifts for friends and family.


Let me know how you did making your ribbon bookmark, leave a comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment